NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA : 3 TRANSLATIONS | NARADA
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 01 | NARADA
Athato bhaktim vyakhyasyamah
1. Now , therefore , we shall teach Bhakti , or the Religion of Divine Love .
2. Now , therefore , I will try to explain the process of devotional service .
3. Now , therefore , the doctrine of devotion we shall expound .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 02 | NARADA
Sa tvasmin parama-prema-rupa
1. Bhakti is intense love for GOD .
2. Devotional service manifests as the most elevated , pure love for GOD .
3. That ( Devotion ) is indeed of the nature of Supreme Love in ( directed towards ) GOD .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 03 | NARADA
1. In its intrinsic nature this divine love is immortal bliss .
2. This pure love for GOD is eternal .
3. The Supreme Love for the Lord , called Devotion Divine , is of the nature of immortality also .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 04 | NARADA
Yallabdhva puman siddho bhavati , amrito bhavati tripto bhavati
1. By attaining IT , one becomes perfect , immortal , and satisfied forever .
2. Upon achieving that stage of transcendental devotional service in pure love of GOD , one becomes perfect , immortal , and peaceful .
3. Having gained this Supreme Devotion , the devotee attains perfection and immortality and becomes extremely satisfied .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 05 | NARADA
Yatprapya na Kinchidvanchati na sochatina dveshti na ramate notsahi bhavati
1. On attaining That one does not desire anything else ; one grieves no more , one is free from hatred or jealousy ; one does not take pleasure in the vanities of life ; and one loses all eagerness to gain anything for oneself .
2. A person engaged in such pure devotional service neither desires anything for sense gratification , nor laments for any loss , nor hates anything , nor enjoys anything on personal account , nor becomes very enthusiastic in material activity .
3. Having attained which ( Devotion ) one cares for nothing , never grieves , never hates , never delights in anything and one finds no urge or enthusiasm for sense enjoyment .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 06 | NARADA
Yajinatva matto bhavati sthabdho bhavatyatmaramo bhavati
1. The devotee may first become intoxicated with bliss . Then , having realized That , one becomes inert and silent and takes delight in the Atman .
2. One who understands perfectly the process of devotional service in love of GODhead becomes intoxicated in its discharge . Sometimes one becomes stunned in ecstasy and thus enjoys one's whole self , being engaged in the service of the Supreme Self .
3. Having known which ( Devotion ) one becomes intoxicated , silent , and enjoys in the Self .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 07 | NARADA
Sa na kamayamana nirodharupatvat
1. Bhakti cannot be used to fulfill any desire , being itself the check to all desire .
2. There is no question of lust in the execution of pure devotional service , because in it all material activities are renounced .
3. Because it is of the nature of renunciation there is no element of desire in that Love Divine .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 08 | NARADA
1. Renunciation means dedication of all activities , secular as well as sacred , to GOD .
2. Such renunciation in devotional service means to give up all kinds of social customs and religious rituals governed by Vedic injunction .
3. The renunciation , indeed , is in the total giving up of all secular and religious activities .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 09 | NARADA
1. A Bhakta's renunciation means that one's whole soul goes toward GOD , and whatever militates against love for GOD one rejects .
2. Renunciation also means being exclusively dedicated to the Lord and indifferent to what stands in the way of the Lord's service .
3. In the Lord whole-hearted , single-minded devotion , and in all else that are contrary to it ( Devotion ) , complete indifference — this is the nature of renunciation .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 10 | NARADA
1. Whole-souled devotion means giving up every other refuge and taking refuge in GOD .
2. Exclusive dedication to the Lord means giving up all shelters other .
3. Renunciation of all other supports is whole-heartedness ( in Devotion ) .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 11 | NARADA
1. To reject whatever militates against love for GOD means performance of such secular and sacred activities as are favorable to devotion to GOD .
2. Indifference toward what stands in the way of devotional service means to accept only those activities of social custom and Vedic injunction that are favorable to devotional service .
3. To perform all secular and religious functions that are congenial to GOD and ( to have ) total indifference to all action that are hostile to GOD . . . ( that is " indifference " ).
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 12 | NARADA
1. Scriptures are to be followed as long as one's spiritual life is not firmly established in GOD .
2. One must continue to follow scriptural injunctions even after one is fixed up in determined certainty that devotional service is the only means for reaching the perfection of life .
3. After having thus decided to live the life of whole-hearted devotion , let there be protection of the Scriptural teachings .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 13 | NARADA
Anyatha patitya sankaya
1. For , otherwise there is the risk of a fall .
2. Otherwise there is every possibility of falling down .
3. Or else , there is the fear of a fall ( from the Spiritual path ) .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 14 | NARADA
Lokopi tavadeva kintu bhojanadivyaparastvasariradharanavadhi
1. Social customs and practices need only be followed until one's love for GOD grows intense ; but acts such as eating , drinking , etc , which are necessary for the preservation of the body , must not be given up .
2. For as long as the body lasts , one should engage minimally in social and political activities and in such matters as eating .
3. The worldly duties in the various social contacts are also to be performed only to that extent ( so long as the consciousness of the external world continues with us ) , but activities such as eating , etc , indeed will continue as long as the body exists .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 15 | NARADA
1. The characteristics of divine love have been described variously by sages because of difference in their viewpoints .
2. Now the characteristics of devotional service will be described according to various authoritative opinions .
3. Its ( Devotion or Bhakti’s ) characteristics are being described now ; due to the existence of different opinions .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 16 | NARADA
Pujadishvanurage iti parasaryah
1. Vyasa , offspring of Parasara , defines Bhakti as devotion to acts of worship and the like .
2. Srila Vyasadeva , offspring of Parasara Muni , says that bhakti is fond attachment for worshiping the Lord in various ways .
3. " In the worship of the Lord with deep Love and firm attachment " , thus declares the offspring of Parasara , Sri Veda Vyasa.
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 17 | NARADA
1. The sage Garge defines Bhakti as devotion to hearing and praising the name of GOD .
2. Garga Muni says that bhakti is fondness for narrations about the Lord , by the Lord , and so on .
3. " A great attachment to listening to the stories of the Lord's glories etc is Bhakti " , according to Maharshi Garga .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 18 | NARADA
1. The sage Sandilya defines Bhakti as avoiding all distracting thoughts, and taking delight only in the Atman .
2. Sandilya says that bhakti results from one's removing all obstructions to taking pleasure in the Supreme Self .
3. " The devotion for GOD , which is not opposed to attachment to the inner-Self is true Devotion " , according to Sage Shandilya .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 19 | NARADA
Naradastu tadarpitakhilacharatatadvismarane paramavyakulateti
1. Narada gives these as the signs of Bhakti : When all thoughts , all words , and all deeds are given up to the Lord , and when the least forgetfulness of GOD makes one intensely miserable , then love has begun .
2. Narada , however , says that bhakti consists of offering one's every act to the Supreme Lord and feeling extreme distress in forgetting .
3. According to Devarshi Narada " total dedication of all actions at the Altar of the Lord, and at all moments of forgetfulness of the Lord , excruciating pangs " is Supreme Love-Divine ( Bhakti ).
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 20 | NARADA
1. Examples exist of such perfect expressions of love .
2. Bhakti is , in fact, correctly described in each of these ways .
3. Let it be exactly as described above .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 21 | NARADA
1. As the Gopis of Vraja had it .
2. The Gopis of Vraja are an example of pure Bhakti .
3. Just as the Love of the Gopis of Vraja .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 22 | NARADA
1. Although worshiping Krishna as their lover , the Gopis never forgot Krishna's GOD-nature .
2. Even in the case of the gopis , one cannot criticize them for forgetting the Lord's greatness .
3. Even there , in this condition of total love , there is no danger of forgetting the Glory of Lord .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 23 | NARADA
1. If they did not have that knowledge that Krishna was GOD , then their love would have been similar to the base passion of a worldly lover for a lover .
2. On the other hand , displays of devotion without knowledge of GOD's greatness are no better than the affairs of illicit lovers.
3. Love without the knowledge of the Lord's true nature ( is ) like the illicit love for the paramour .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 24 | NARADA
1. In lust there in only the desire for one's own pleasure ; one's happiness does not consist in making the beloved happy .
2. In such false devotion one does not find pleasure exclusively in the Lord's pleasure .
3. In the profane love for the paramour the sense of happiness in the happiness given to another , surely does not exist at all .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 25 | NARADA
Sa tu karmajnanayogebhyopyadhikatara
1. Bhakti is greater than Karma , greater than Jnana , greater than Yoga ( Raja Yoga ) .
2. Pure devotional service , on the other hand , is far superior to fruitive work , philosophical speculation , and mystic meditation .
3. The supreme Devotion ( Bhakti ) is indeed , as a technique even superior to the Path of Action ( Karma ) , the Path of Knowledge ( Gyana ) , and the path of Disciplined Contemplation ( Yoga ) .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 26 | NARADA
1. For Bhakti is the ultimate end or goal of spiritual life . All other paths lead to its realization .
2. After all , Bhakti is the fruit of all endeavor .
3. Because it is of the Nature of the fruits of all Yogas .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 27 | NARADA
Easvarasyapyabhimanadveshitvad dainya priyattvaccha
1. Bhakti is the greatest also because GOD dislikes egotism and loves humility .
2. Furthermore , the Lord dislikes the proud but is pleased with the humble .
3. Also because of GOD’s dislike for egoism and because of the love for meekness ( Devotion alone is superior ) .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 28 | NARADA
Tasya jnanameva sadhanamityeke
1. Some are of the opinion that knowledge is the means to attain Bhakti .
2. Some say that knowledge is the means for developing Devotion .
3. " For the Love Divine , Knowledge alone is the means " , so say some Acharyas .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 29 | NARADA
1. Others are of the opinion that Knowledge and Devotion are interdependent .
2. Others consider Bhakti and Knowledge interdependent .
3. " Mutually dependent " , declare others .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 30 | NARADA
Svayam phalarupateti brahmakumarah
1. Narada says that spiritual realization is its won fruit .
2. But the offspring of Brahma says that Bhakti is its own fruit .
3. " It ( Bhakti ) is its own fruit " thus say the offspring of Brahma the Creator .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 31-32 | NARADA
Na tena rajaparitosha kshudhasantirva
1. One cannot please a ruler by merely knowing about the ruler and seeing the palace, nor can one satisfy hunger by the mere knowledge and sight of food ; similarly one cannot be satisfied by the Knowledge or perception of GOD until Love comes .
2. This is illustrated by the examples of a royal palace , a meal , and so on . A ruler is not really satisfied just by seeing a palace , nor can someone placate one's hunger just by looking at a meal .
3. Because it is seen demonstrated as such in the examples of places and dinner etc . Because of it ( a mere knowledge alone ) neither the favor of the ruler nor the appeasement of hunger can ever happen .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 33 | NARADA
Tasmatsaiva grahya mumukshubhihi
1. Therefore , those who desire to transcend all limitations and bondages ( of birth , death , rebirth , of all the pairs of opposites in this relative world ) must accept Supreme Love as the highest goal .
2. Therefore seekers of liberation should take to Devotional service alone .
3. Therefore , that Supreme Love for GOD alone is to be sought after by seekers of complete Liberation .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 34 | NARADA
Tasya sadhanani gayanti acharyaha
1. The great teachers describe in hymns and songs the following as the means of attaining supreme love .
2. Standard authorities have described the methods for achieving devotional service .
3. Ancient teachers sing differently upon the means of developing this Devotion in the bosom .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 35 | NARADA
Tattu Vishaya Tyagat Sangatyagaccha
1. To attain supreme love , one must renounce the objects of sense pleasure as well as attachment to them .
2. One achieves bhakti by giving up sense gratification and mundane association.
3. Indeed the sources of Devotion are explored and exploited fully through ( 1 ) renunciation of sense-objects and also by ( 2 ) giving up attachments to beings around .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 36 | NARADA
1. ( Supreme love is attained ) by uninterrupted and constant worship of GOD .
2. One achieves bhakti by worshiping the Lord ceaselessly .
3. ( Also ) ( 3 ) through continuous tender and loving service of the Lord .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 37 | NARADA
Lokepi Bhagavat guna Sravana kirtanat
1. By hearing of and singing the glory of the Lord , even while engaged in the ordinary activities of life .
2. One achieves bhakti by hearing and chanting about the Supreme Lord's special qualities , even while engaged in the ordinary activities of life in this world .
3. ( Again ) ( 4 ) by hearing and singing the glories of the Lord , even while engaged in the activities of the world .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 38 | NARADA
Mukhyatastu mahakripayaiva bhagavatkripaleshadva
1. The principal means of attaining Bhakti is the grace of a great soul .
2. Primarily , however , one develops bhakti by the mercy of great souls , or by a small drop of the Lord's mercy .
3. Primarily it ( pure Devotion ) is gained ( 5 ) through the grace of great souls , or ( 6 ) through a little of the Divine Grace .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 39 | NARADA
Mahatsangastu durlabho agamyaamoghascha
1. It is hard to obtain the grace of a great soul , because it is hard to recognize such a one ; but if one receives grace , the effect is infallible .
2. The association of great souls is rarely obtained , difficult to understand , and infallible .
3. To come in contact with a great soul is indeed extremely difficult . It is impossible to know them fully . Yet, it is infallible in its effect .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 40 | NARADA
Labhyateapi tat kripayaiva
1. Through the grace of GOD alone an aspirant obtains the grace of a great soul .
2. The association of great souls can be attained — but only by the Lord's mercy .
3. " Nevertheless , by the grace of GOD alone great souls are attained . "
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 41 | NARADA
1. There is no difference between GOD and the devotees .
2. ( One can attain bhakti either by the association of the Lord's pure devotees or directly by the Lord's mercy because ) the Lord and the pure devotees are nondifferent .
3. Because between GOD and the devotees , there is no sense of difference .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 42 | NARADA
Tadeva sadhyatam tadeva sadhyatam
1. Seek therefore the mercy of a great soul .
2. Strive , strive only for the association of pure devotees .
3. That alone is to be accomplished ; that alone be accomplished .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 43 | NARADA
Dussangah sarvathaiva tyajyah
1. Shun evil [ ignorant ] company , by all means .
2. One should give up all kinds of degrading association .
3. Evil [ ignorant ] company is only fit to be renounced by all means .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 44 | NARADA
Kamakrodhamoha smritibhramsa buddhinasa sarvanasakaranatvat
1. Evil [ ignorant ] company should be shunned , because it leads to lust , anger , delusion , forgetfulness of the goal , and ultimate ruin .
2. Material association is the cause of lust , anger , confusion , forgetfulness , loss of intelligence , and total calamity .
3. For it is the cause for creating lust , anger , delusion , loss of memory , loss of discrimination , and ultimately our utter ruin .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 45 | NARADA
Tarangayita apime sangatsamudrayanti
1. These passions may at first remain like ripples , but evil [ ignorant ] company makes them rise to huge ocean waves .
2. Rising like waves from material association , these bad effects mass into a great ocean of misery .
3. Though appearing as a ripple ( in the beginning ) these ( anger , lust , etc ) by evil [ ignorant ] companionship can become an ocean .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 46 | NARADA
Kastarati kastarati mayam ? Ya sangamtyajati yo mahanubhavam sevate , nirmamo bhavati
1. Who indeed overcomes Maya ? One who gives up all attachment , who serves the great ones , and who is freed from the sense of " I and mine " .
2. Who can cross beyond illusion ? One who abandons material association , serves the sages , and becomes selfless .
3. Who crosses maya ( illusion ) ? Who really crosses maya ? ( 1 ) One who gives up all attachments to sense-objects ; ( 2 ) One who serves the great devotees and ( 3 ) One who renounces all sense of possession —
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 47 | NARADA
Yo viviktasthanam , sevate , yolokabandhamunmulayati nistraigunyo bhavati , yogakshemam tyajati
1. One who lives in solitude , cuts through the bondages of this world , goes beyond the three Gunas , and depends upon the Lord even for one's living .
2. ( Who can cross beyond illusion ? ) That person who stays in a secluded place , cuts off at the root one's attachment to mundane society , becomes free from the influence of the three modes of nature , and gives up hankering for material gain and security .
3. . . ( 4 ) one who keeps oneself in a solitary place of quietude , ( 5 ) one who plucks off the bondage with the world by the roots , ( 6 ) ( one who ) goes beyond the influences of the " gunas " , ( 7 ) ( one who ) renounces all anxieties for acquiring and maintaining ; . . .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 48 | NARADA
Yah karmaphalam tyajapi , karmanisannyasyati tato mirdvandvo bhavati
1. One who gives up the fruits of actions , renounces all selfish activities , and passes beyond the pairs of opposites .
2. ( Who can cross beyond illusion ? ) That person who renounces material duties and their profits , thus transcending duality .
3. . . ( 8 ) one who relinquishes the fruits-of-actions , ( 9 ) who renounces all ego-centric-actions , and thus ( 10 ) becomes free from the play of the pairs-of-opposites . . .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 49 | NARADA
Yo vedanapi sannyasyati , kevalamavichchinnanuragam labhate
1. One who renounces even the rites and ceremonies prescribed by the scriptures and attains unfaltering love for GOD .
2. That person who renounces even the Vedas obtains exclusive and uninterrupted attraction for GOD .
3. . . ( 11 ) one who renounces even the Vedas ; and ( 12 ) gains a pure unbroken flow of devotion . . .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 50 | NARADA
Sa tarati , sa tarati sa lokamastarayati .
1. Such a person , indeed , crosses this Maya , and helps others to cross it .
2. Such a person , indeed , is delivered , and also delivers the rest of the world .
3. . . one crosses , indeed one crosses . One helps others also to cross .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 51 | NARADA
Anirvachaniyam premasvarupam .
1. The real nature of this supreme love is inexpressible .
2. The true nature of pure love of GOD is beyond description .
3. The nature of Devotion is indescribable , indefinable .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 52 | NARADA
1. It is like a dumb person trying to express experience of a delightful taste .
2. ( Trying to describe the experience of pure love of GOD ) is like a mute's effort to describe what one tastes .
3. Like the taste enjoyed by the dumb .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 53 | NARADA
Prakasate kvapi patre .
1. ( Though it is inexpressible ) , nevertheless , it is manifest in the great souls who have attained it .
2. Nonetheless , from time to time pure love of GOD is revealed to those who are qualified .
3. In some rare ones who are fit recipients this ( such pure love ) is found to manifest .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 54 | NARADA
Gunarahitam kamanarahitam pratikshanavardhamanamavicchinnamsukshmataramanubhavarupam
1. This supreme love is devoid of attributes ; it is free from all selfish desires ; it grows in intensity every moment ; it is an unbroken inner experience , subtler than the subtlest .
2. Pure love of GOD manifests as the most subtle consciousness , devoid of material qualities and material desires , increasing at every moment , and never interrupted .
3. ( This pure love ) without attributes , without the poison of desires , every moment increasing , unbroken , subtlest , of the nature of sheer immediate experience . . .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 55 | NARADA
Tatprapya tadevavalokayati tadeva srinotitadeva bhashtyati tadeva chintayati
1. When one attains this supreme love , one sees The Beloved everywhere , one hears of The Beloved everywhere , one talks only of The Beloved , and one thinks of The Beloved only .
2. Having obtained pure love of GOD , one looks only at the Lord , hears only about the Lord , speaks only of the Lord , and thinks only of the Lord .
3. Having reached the Supreme Love ( that ) , the devotee sees ( feels , comprehends ) that alone , hears that alone , speaks of that alone , and thinks ( contemplates upon ) that alone .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 56 | NARADA
Gauni tridha gunabhedadartadibhedadva
1. Preparatory devotion is of three kinds , according to the predominance in the minds of the aspirants of one or another of the three Gunas — Sattva , Rajas , and Tamas ; also according to the reasons for which they devote themselves to GOD — whether because they are world-weary , or seeking for knowledge , or desirous of the fulfillment of some material desires .
2. Secondary devotional service is of three kinds , according to which of the three material modes predominates , or according to which material motivation — distress and so on — brings one to bhakti .
3. The secondary devotion is of three kinds — according to the difference in the mental disposition ( of the devotee ) or according to the type of discontentment ( in the devotees ) .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 57 | NARADA
Uttarasmaduttarasmat purvapurvasreyaya bhavati
1. Of these classes of devotees , the first is considered the highest , after these come the less high , the middling and the low .
2. Each earlier stage should be considered better than the one following it .
3. Than each succeeding one, each preceding one become the nobler ( the greater ) .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 58 | NARADA
Anyasmat saulabhyam bhaktau
1. The path of Devotion is the easiest way to attain God .
2. Success is easier to attain by devotional service than by any other process .
3. Than all other paths ( yogas ) Devotion is readily available — easily attainable . . .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 59 | NARADA
Pramanantarasyanapekshatvat svayam pramanatvat
1. Love is its own proof and does not require any other .
2. The reason devotional service is the easiest of all spiritual processes is that it does not depend on any other authority for its validity , being itself the standard of authority .
3. . . . because Love depends on no other proof , it in itself being of the nature of a proof , Love is self-evident .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 60 | NARADA
1. Its nature is Peace and Supreme Bliss .
2. Furthermore , Bhakti is the embodiment of Peace and Supreme Ecstasy .
3. . . . also because Love is of the nature of peace and it is of the nature of Supreme Bliss .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 61 | NARADA
Lokahanau chinta na karyaniveditatmalokavedatvat
1. The devotee does not grieve at any personal loss , for one has surrendered oneself , everything one has , and even the rites and ceremonies which are enjoined by the scriptures .
2. After consigning to the Lord all one's mundane and Vedic duties , one no longer need worry about worldly loss .
3. No worry or anxiety should be entertained at the worldly losses , as it is the nature of a true Devotee to constantly surrender the limited-self and all its secular and sacred activities to the Lord of one's heart .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 62 | NARADA
Na tat siddhau lokavyavaharo heyahkintu phalatyagastat sadhanancha karyameva
1 . Even though the devotee may have surrendered oneself utterly to the Lord , one must not renounce action in the world but continue to perform it , giving up the fruits of action to the Lord .
2 . Even after one has achieved devotional service , one should not abandon one's responsibilities in this world but should rather continue surrendering the results of one's work to the Lord . And while still trying to reach the stage of pure devotion , one must certainly continue executing prescribed duties .
3 . Till such a consummate Love is not gained or — on attaining the consummate Love — worldly activities are not to be abandoned . But certainly we must diligently pursue Love and learn to renounce our anxiety to enjoy the fruit of our activities .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 63 | NARADA
Stree dhana nastika vairi charitram nasravaniyam
1 . Conversations about lust , greed , and atheism should not be listened to .
2 . One should not find entertainment in news of sex , money , and atheists .
3 . ( Seeker should not ) listen to descriptions of sex , wealth , atheists and enemies .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 64 | NARADA
1 . Pride , vanity , and such other vices must be cast out .
2 . One should put aside false pride , hypocrisy , and other vices .
3 . Pride vanity , and such other negative urges of the mind should be given up .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 65 | NARADA
Tadarpitakhilacharah sankamakrodhabhimanadi Tasminneva karaniyam
1 . Dedicate all your actions to GOD and direct all your passions , such as lust , anger , pride , and so forth , toward GOD .
2 . Offering all one's activities to the Lord , one should feel desire , anger , and pride only with regard to the Lord .
3 . Having dedicated all activities unto the Lord , one , should turn all desire , anger , pride , etc , towards the Lord alone .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 66 | NARADA
Trirupabhangapurvakamnityadasyanityakantabhajanatmakam premakaryam premaiva karyam
1. Transcending the three forms of love , love the Lord , and love the Lord as an eternal servant , as the Lord's eternal spouse .
2. After breaking through the aforementioned coverings of the three modes of nature , one should act only in pure love of GOD , remaining perpetually in the mood of a servant serving the master , or a lover serving the beloved .
3. Going beyond the three-factors of experiences , love , consisting of constant service , as in the case of a devoted servant or spouse , alone should be practiced .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 67 | NARADA
Bhakta ekantino mukhyah
1. The highest class of devotees are those who have one-pointed love for GOD , and for love's sake only .
2. Among the Lord's devotees , the greatest are those who are dedicated to the Lord solely as intimate servants .
3. Devotees , whose sole , single goal is the Lord and whose single-pointed devotion towards the Lord is for its on sake , are the primary ( best ) .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 68 | NARADA
Kanthavarodharomanchasrubhih parasparam lapamanah pavayanti kulani prithivimcha
1. When devotees talk of GOD , their voices choke , tears flow from their eyes , their hair stands erect in ecstasy . Such as these purify not only their families but this whole earth on which they are born .
2. Conversing among one another with throats choked , hair standing on end , and tears flowing , the Lord's intimate servants purify their own followers and the whole world .
3. When ( they ) with throats choked with emotion , body covered with horripulation and tears flowing down , converse with each other in broken words , they sanctify their family and tribe , nay , the very earth itself they come to glorify .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 69 | NARADA
Tirthikurvanti tirthani sukarmi-kurvantikarmani sacchastrikurvanti sastrani
1. These great illumined souls , the lovers of GOD , sanctify the places of pilgrimage . The deeds they perform become examples of good action . They give spiritual authority to the scriptures .
2. Their association makes holy places holy , works auspicious , and the scriptures authoritative .
3. ( They ) sanctify the sacred places of pilgrimage , add glory to actions , and lend authority to the scriptures .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 70 | NARADA
1. Every one of those Devotees has become filled with the spirit of GOD .
2. The intimate servants of the Supreme Lord are fully absorbed in loving .
3. ( For ) they live absorbed in the Lord .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 71 | NARADA
Modante pitaro nrityanti devatahsanathah cheyam bhurbhavat
1. When such Lovers of GOD dwell on earth , their forefathers rejoice , the gods dance in joy , this earth becomes sanctified .
2. Thus the pure Devotees' forefathers become joyful , the demigods dance , and the world feels protected by good masters .
3. The past generations rejoice in their fulfillment , the Divine beings in heaven dance in joy and this earth itself becomes endowed with a spiritual Savior .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 72 | NARADA
Nasti teshu jatividyarupakuladhanakriyadi bhedah
1. Among them there are no distinctions based on caste , learning , beauty of form , birth in a high or low family , wealth , possessions , and the like .
2. There are no distinctions among such pure Devotees in terms of social class , education , bodily beauty , family status , wealth , occupation , and so on .
3. Among them ( the perfected Saints ) there are no distinctions based upon caste , culture , beauty , family , wealth or profession .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 73 | NARADA
1. Because they are the Lord's own .
2. Pure Devotees are not distinguished by externals like social class , for they belong to the Lord .
3. For they are of the Lord's own nature Divine .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 74 | NARADA
1. Arguments are to be avoided .
2. One should not indulge in argumentative debate .
3. Vain disputation and discussion should not be entered into .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 75 | NARADA
1. Because there is no end to them and they lead to no satisfactory result .
2. Such argumentation leads to excessive entanglements and is never decisive .
3. ( Vain disputations are to be given up ) because there can be endless , diverse views and all mere arguments become ultimately inconclusive only .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 76 | NARADA
Bhaktisastrani manananiyanitadbodhakakarmani karaniyani
1. While you study the devotional scriptures , meditate upon their teachings and follow them so that devotion to GOD may be intensified in your heart .
2. One should respect the revealed scriptures of devotional service and discharge the duties they prescribe .
3. Books on devotion should be reflected upon and their instructions must be pursued diligently .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 77 | NARADA
Sukhadihkhechchalabhadityakte kale pratikshamane kshanardhamapi vyartham naneyam
1. It behoves a Bhakta not to waste a single moment , nor to delay worshiping GOD until one becomes freed from pleasure and pain , from cravings and greed .
2. Patiently enduring until the time when one can put aside material happiness , distress , desire , and false gain , one should not waste even a fraction of a second .
3. Waiting for a propitious time , when pleasure , pain , desire , profit etc are not troubling you , even half a second should not be wasted .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 78 | NARADA
1. The Bhakta should cultivate harmlessness , truthfulness , purity , compassion , faith , and other such virtues .
2. One should cultivate such good qualities as nonviolence , truthfulness , cleanliness , compassion , and faith .
3. Virtues , like non-injury to others , truthfulness , cleanliness , compassion , faith in GOD , etc , should be consistently cultivated .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 79 | NARADA
Sarvada sarvabhavena nischintaih bhagavanena bhajaniyah
1. The blessed Lord alone is to be worshipped day and night in and through every aspect of life without any distracting thought .
2. Those who are free of doubts should constantly worship the Supreme Lord with all their hearts .
3. Always , free from , in all mental anxiety , the Lord alone is to be invoked and sought after , with all factors of our personality .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 80 | NARADA
Sa kirtyamanahsighramevavirbhavatyanubhavayati bhaktan
1. Where the Lord is worshipped thus , the Lord soon reveals ITself to the inner vision of the devotees .
2. When the Lord is glorified , the Lord swiftly reveals ITself to the devotees and allows them to know IT as IT is .
3. When invoked , the Lord indeed reveals ITself and makes the devotee realize ITs Absolute nature divine .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 81 | NARADA
Trisatyasya bhakireva gariyasi bhaktirevagariyasi
1. TO LOVE THE ETERNAL TRUTH — THIS INDEED IS THE GREATEST LOVE .
2. Devotional service is the most precious possession of a person who honestly uses mind , body , and words .
3. Of the three " truths " ( time or paths ) Devotion alone is the greatest ; indeed , Devotion alone is the greatest .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 82 | NARADA
Gunamahatmyasaktirupasakti pujasaktismaranasakti dasyasakti sakhyasakti vatsalyasaktikantasakti atmanivedanasakti tanmayasakti paramavirahasakti rupaikadhapyekadasadha bhavati
1. THIS DIVINE LOVE MANIFESTS ITSELF IN 11 DIFFERENT FORMS :
- A Devotee Loves to chant the praises and glories of GOD
- Loves GOD's enchanting beauty
- Loves to offer GOD the worship of the heart
- Loves to meditate on GOD's presence constantly
- Loves to think of oneself as GOD's servant
- Loves GOD as the friend
- Loves GOD as one's child
- Loves GOD as the beloved
- Loves to surrender oneself to GOD completely
- Loves to be completely absorbed in GOD
- Loves to feel the pangs of separation from GOD .
2. ALTHOUGH DEVOTIONAL SERVICE IS ONE , IT BECOMES MANIFESTED IN 11 FORMS OF ATTACHMENT :
- Attachment to GOD's glorious qualities
- Attachment to GOD's beauty
- Attachment to worshiping GOD
- Attachment to remembering GOD
- Attachment to serving GOD
- Attachment to reciprocating with GOD as a friend
- Attachment to caring for GOD as a parent
- Attachment to dealing with GOD as a lover
- Attachment to surrendering one's whole self to GOD
- Attachment to being absorbed in thought of GOD
- Attachment to experiencing separation from GOD .
This last is the Supreme Attachment .
3. THUS THOUGH LOVE IS ONE ONLY , IT IS EXPRESSED IN 11 DIFFERENT MODES :
- Love for glorifying GOD's qualities
- Love for GOD's Divine Form
- Love for worshipping GOD
- Love for remembering GOD
- Love for doing service for GOD
- Love for friendship in GOD
- Love for GOD as one’s own child
- Love for GOD as that to a beloved
- Love for a total self-offering at GOD's feet
- Love for complete absorption in GOD
- Love as expressed in the pang of separation from GOD .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 83 | NARADA
Ityevam vadanti janajalpanirbhaa ekamatahkumaravyasasukasandilyagargavishnukoundilyaseshoddha varunibalihanumadvibhishanadayo bhaktacharyah
1. These truths the teachers of Bhakti unanimously declare , without being in the least afraid of public criticism .
The following are known as great teachers of Bhakti :
Kumara , Vyasa , Suka , Sandilya , Garga , Vishnu , Kaundinya , Sesha , Uddhava , Aruni , Bali , Hanuman , Vibhishana , and many others .
2. Thus say the founding authorities of devotional service :
the Kumaras , Vyasa , Suka , Sandilya , Garga , Vishnu , Kaundilya , Sesha , Uddhava , Aruni , Bali , Hanuman , Vibhishana , and others — speaking without fear of worldly gossip and sharing among themselves one and the same opinion .
3. Thus declare they , who are fearless of other people and their prattlings , their unanimous opinion — they who are masters of the path of devotion , such as Sanatkumara , Vyasa , Suka , Shandilya , Garga , Vishnu , Kaundinya , Sesha , Uddhava , Aruni , Bali , Hanuman , and Vibhishana .
NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA | SUTRA 84 | NARADA
Ya Idam Naradaproktam sivanusasanamvisvasati sraddhate sa bhaktiman bhavati sa preshtam labhata sa preshtham labhate iti
1. Whosoever believes in this auspicious description of Divine Love by Narada , and has faith in these teachings , becomes a Lover of GOD , attains the highest beatitude , and reaches the Supreme Goal of Life .
2. Anyone who trusts these instructions spoken by Narada and is convinced by them will be blessed with Devotion and attain the Most Dear Lord . Yes , one will attain the Most Dear Lord .
3. One who believes and has faith in this exposition , given out by Narada as taught ( commanded ) by Lord Siva , gains the Love of GOD and attains the objective , aye , attains the Beloved Goal .
|| NARADA BHAKTI SUTRA : 3 TRANSLATIONS SERIES ➤ http://bit.ly/RvFZ4L ||
|| THIS SCRIPTURE SERIES SOURCE || ➤
|| 1 || http://www.SATYAVEDISM.com/ ||
|| 2 || http://bit.ly/DIVINEECSTASY ||
SOURCE | SATYAVEDISM.ORG