HEART OF RAMA | II | RELIGION & MORALS | 01 TO 09 | RAMA राम
You do not belong to any religion .
All religions belong to you .
• Accept not a religion because it is the oldest ; its being the oldest is no proof of its being the true one . Sometimes the oldest houses ought to be pulled down and the oldest clothes must be changed . The latest innovation , if it can stand the test of Reason , is as good as the fresh rose bedecked with sparkling dew .
• Accept not a religion because it is the latest . The latest things are not always the best , not having stood the test of time .
• Accept not a religion on the ground of its being believed in by a vast majority of humanity , because the vast majority of humanity believes practically in the religion of Satan , in the religion of Ignorance . There was a time when the vast majority of humanity believed in slavery , but that could be no proof of slavery being a proper Institution .
• Believe not in a religion on the ground of its being believed in by the chosen few . Sometimes the small minority that accepts a religion is in darkness and misled .
• Accept not a religion because it comes from a great ascetic , from one who has renounced everything ; because we see that there are many ascetics , ones who have renounced everything , and yet they know nothing , they are veritable fanatics .
• Accept not a religion because it comes from heirs or rulers ; rulers are often enough spiritually poor .
• Accept not a religion because it comes from a person whose character was the highest ; often times people of the grandest character have failed in expounding the Truth . One's digestive power may be exceptionally strong and yet one may not know anything about the process of assimilation . Here is a painter , who gives you lovely , exquisite , splendid work of art and yet the painter may be the ugliest person in the world . There are people who are very ugly and yet they promulgate beautiful truths ; Socrates was such .
• Believe not in a religion because it comes from a very famous person . Isaac Newton is very famous , and yet Newton's emissary theory of light is wrong .
• Accept a thing and believe in a religion on its own merits . Examine it yourself . Sift it .
SOURCE | SATYAVEDISM.COM